- Speech Language Pathology
- Occupational Therapy
The VitalStim® Certification Program includes these two courses offered by CIAO Seminars:
- The online course, "MBS: The Clear Picture" for 1.2 CEUs (12 contact hours)
- The two day hands-on "VitalStim® Certification Course for 1.6 CEUs (16 contact hours) for a total of 2.8 CEUs (28 contact hours).
Successful completion of the pre-requisite online MBS: The Clear Picture and this 2-day, hands-on VitalStim® Therapy Certification Course will certify the participant to utilize VitalStim® technology in the treatment of dysphagia.
MBS: The Clear Picture (Online Course)
This online course is delivered via the Internet. Computer and Internet access are therefore required. The participant will receive guidance and instruction from an experienced instructor, specializing in swallowing disorders and evaluation. Participants should allow up to 48 hours for instructor responses. The course takes approximately 12 hours to complete and may be taken at any time over a two week period with new classes starting every Sunday.
NOTE: Registrants should allow 1-2 weeks for delivery of the "Interactive Head and Neck" CD, which is used in Unit 1.
The art and skill of interpreting Modified Barium Swallows seemed out of reach for some SLPs who may have graduated before the opportunity to learn was available, or simply because of the limitations of their work environments. This introductory online interactive course is a great opportunity for SLPs, OTs, Radiologists and other professionals involved in treating dysphagia. This isn't your typical online course – it's a colorful, 3-D, interactive experience! You will watch actual videos, have the ability to manipulate 3-D anatomical structures and communicate with your personal instructor. Participants will gain better insight and understanding of the normal anatomy of the swallow and the background necessary to accurately observe the Modified Barium Swallow (MBS) study for the assessment of swallowing.
In Unit 1, consisting of 3 Lessons, participants will learn the anatomy involved in the normal swallow using the "Interactive Head & Neck" Primal Pictures CD (included as part of course materials - $250 value!). In Unit 2, consisting of 3 Lessons, participants will review several MBS studies to learn how to identify and recognize common abnormal findings.
Upon successful completion of this online course, the participant will be able to:
- Identify normal anatomy of the musculature, skeleton and neurological structures relevant to the swallow
- Identify normal muscle physiology involved in the swallowing mechanism
- Describe and identify normal anatomical features visible on an MBS
- Describe and recognize common abnormal findings on an MBS
Describe the procedure/protocol to perform a standard MBS
VitalStim® Certification Course (two-day, hands-on course
This dynamic and innovative program is revolutionizing dysphagia therapy!
Speech-Language Pathologists and Occupational Therapists will bring their facilities to a
state-of-the-art-level with certification from this course.
VitalStim® Therapy is the only FDA cleared treatment approach that successfully
combines Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation and traditional dysphagia techniques.
This energetic certification course will focus on topics such as muscle physiology, kinesiology
of the swallowing mechanism and on pathological swallowing mechanisms and processes.
The basic principles and concepts of neuromuscular electrical stimulation will be taught and the
VitalStim® Therapy protocol will be extensively reviewed and practiced.
The participants will receive one-on-one attention from two instructors, a certified SLP and a PT.
Through extensive hands-on labs; attendees will apply the theory of neuromuscular electrical
stimulation to the treatment of dysphagia. This exclusive program will provide participants
with the building blocks to implement a successful VitalStim® Therapy program and
will add value to therapists, facilities, and most of all patient care!
NOTE: Successful completion of the pre-requisite online MBS: The Clear Picture and this
2-day VitalStim® Therapy Certification Course will certify the participant to utilize
VitalStim® technology in the treatment of dysphagia.
This is an intermediate level course. Requirements for the course are as follows:
• Successful completion of online anatomy and MBS review course (contact CIAO for details)
• Prior knowledge and experience in dysphagia management
• Dysphagia as a significant portion of active caseload
• SLP or OTR with current licensure in state of practice
• SLP or OTR in compliance with state and national practice acts )
Certification to provide VitalStim® Therapy will be awarded to those who:
• Complete the written post-test.
• Demonstrate the accurate practical application of VitalStim® Therapy
NOTE: If these criteria are not met at the course, additional opportunities to
successfully complete the certification process will be available.
- Name the anatomical structures relevant to the swallowing function;
- Palpate the structures mentioned under objective 1 that are accessible to palpation
- Describe the various phases of the normal swallowing movement
- Describe the neuro-physiological processes involved in normal swallowing, neural pathways controlling swallowing, positive and negative feedback occurring during swallowing;
- Discuss the psychological aspects involved with and their impact on swallowing
- Describe the main pathological conditions affecting the swallowing function in both the adult and pediatric population
- Interpret the results of a modified barium study
- Categorize the swallowing disorder based on the result of the evaluation
- Describe the characteristics of electrical stimulation and the influence of electricity on muscle tissue
- Identify the pathological conditions for which electrical stimulation is indicated
- Describe the characteristics of the VitalStim® Therapy electrical stimulation unit and the electrodes used
- Discuss and demonstrate the application of VitalStim® Therapy technology in the treatment of dysphagia
- Discuss and demonstrate the use of swallowing exercise during and after the application of VitalStim® technology
- Discuss the use of other interventions to maximize the impact of VitalStim® Therapy
- Discuss and demonstrate correct use of documentation forms
- Demonstrate effective communication skills regarding VitalStim® therapy with other members of the healthcare team.